Rationalism vs. Religion


Rationalism vs. Religion

 

by David Liu

 

 

I think the coexist model is stupid. I would rather see religion wiped out than coexist with it. Asking me to coexist with religion is like asking me to coexist with syphilis. Neither I nor anybody else is obliged to respect the beliefs of anybody no matter how precious they may be to somebody. That said, I think everybody has the right to practice their religion, but I also have every right to call their religion idiotic. There is a difference between rationalism and religion: only one of them is based on nonsense. Only one of them causes damage to society and represses the rights of entire groups of people. Only one of them stands in the way of legitimate science and reasoning. Which means only one of them deserves hatred, contempt, and dismissal. In short, I permit religion, but I will never tolerate it.